Could you be the next great addition to the 18MR team?
18MillionRising.org (18MR.org) brings many disparate Asian American communities together online and offline to reimagine Asian American identity with nuance, specificity, and power. We are using this Asian American identity as the foundation to build a more just and creative world where our experiences are affirmed, our leadership is valued, and all of us have the opportunity to thrive.
Using technology and popular culture, we develop new ways for Asian Americans and our allies to collaborate, create new ways of being, and transform the world around us.
As a member of the Allied Media Projects Sponsored Projects Network, we also hold the AMP Network Principles as central to our work.
Please read our operating principles before preparing your application.
The 18MR Product Strategist is one part DIY hacker, one part movement tech visionary. In the past, this role has been filled by self-taught programmers and product managers whose expertise is shaped, first and foremost, by their experience as organizers. The Product Strategist will spend their time solving day-to-day problems with web-based tools; managing projects with effective and clear communication; and applying their technical and creative acumen to make things happen for our small team of online organizers and cultureshifters.
You’ll join a small, nimble team that is ambitious, detail-oriented, and highly engaged in everything from the nuts-and-bolts of campaigns and projects to shaping our analysis and vision of the world we want to build.
The ideal Product Strategist is flexible and creative, with a get-it-done attitude. They play well with others, are open to being proven wrong, have a good sense of their strengths and limitations (and feel comfortable asking for help when they’re out of their depth), and have a passion for igniting the imaginations of non-technical collaborators. They are detail-oriented and know how to communicate about expectations, deliverables, and deadlines with remote peers and contractors. They work well with end users and capably facilitate community-led product design with a spirit of co-creation and mutual learning.
The Product Strategist has two main roles: the day-to-day management and operation of 18MR’s technology stack, and guiding the development of new features and products, such as VoterVOX and improvements to our online campaigning tools, for the 18MR campaigns team, in service of social movements.
The Product Strategist will report to the Executive Director.
- Work well with a remote team with diverse perspectives and expertises; understands how to communicate to non-technical users about design decisions, databases, and features.
- Assist the Executive Director with long-term planning and prioritizing milestones.
- Participate in professional associations and conferences to improve skills and share 18MR findings.
- Manage a department budget for software as a service vendors, contract developers, and other expenses.
- Hire, develop, and manage contract developers and volunteers to achieve milestones.
Maintaining the Stack
- Able to be flexible and problem-solve with a variety online platforms.
- Track, categorize, assign, and sometimes fix front-end bugs.
- Interact with software vendors and project maintainers on behalf of 18MR.
- Stay abreast of developments in digital security for campaigns.
- Maintain documentation for the 18MR campaigning stack and offer internal training on new and improved tools, as appropriate.
Developing New Things
- Work with the campaigns team to identify new features and technical needs.
- Manage community-based user research activities.
- Create and manage development goals and timelines for new products.
- At least three years making major contributions to multi-stakeholder software projects, either as a professional or volunteer.
- At least three years participating in organizing or movement-building activities, either as a professional or volunteer.
- Experience with facilitation, such as hands-on, in-the-field user research, ideally with experience working with immigrant or multilingual communities.
- Proficiency with Jekyll & Liquid templates.
- Proficiency with Github workflows.
- Proficiency with Ruby on Rails.
- Conversational fluency in at least one Asian language (inclusive of East, Southeast, and South Asian languages).
- Strong racial justice, gender justice, and economic justice analysis.
- Experience working with Action Network.
- Experience contributing to free, libre, or open source software projects.
- Experience pitching new products to investors or donors.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position is between $65,000 and $75,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
As we are a distributed team, your primary residence may be located anywhere in the United States; current staff are based in New York City, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area. Occasional organization-sponsored travel for conferences and face-to-face staff gatherings will be required.
Through our fiscal sponsor, Allied Media Projects, we offer a competitive benefits package including generous vacation; full health, dental, vision and flex benefits; 403b program; ongoing training opportunities; and allowances for coworking space in your area and other incidental costs.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity as central to our work serving underrepresented communities, and we encourage candidates from a wide range of backgrounds to apply.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter, resume, a portfolio of past work (including any relevant links to public code repositories on BitBucket or GitHub), and three references (including one reference who can speak to a technical project) to email@example.com, subject: Product Strategist Application.
Direct any questions about this job posting to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: Product Strategist Questions.
About 18MillionRising.org (18MR.org): 18MR.org is an unprecedented Asian American Pacific Islander online organizing and civic engagement organization that leverages the power of technology and social media to advocate for justice for our communities and allies. 18MR is comprised of a network of a AAPI activists, artists, organizations, and digital media influencers, ranging from community based organizations and print magazines to Asian American blogs and YouTube channels. By harnessing cutting edge online tools and tried-and-true organizing methods, 18MR.org creates opportunities for popular education and wins campaigns to shift policy, culture, and corporate behavior to help build a more just, equitable society for and with the diverse communities comprising over 18 million Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders nationwide.