Could you be the next great addition to the 18MR team?
18MillionRising.org (18MR.org) brings many disparate Asian American communities together online and offline to reimagine Asian American identity with nuance, specificity, and power. We are using this Asian American identity as the foundation to build a more just and creative world where our experiences are affirmed, our leadership is valued, and all of us have the opportunity to thrive.
Using technology and popular culture, we develop new ways for Asian Americans and our allies to collaborate, create new ways of being, and transform the world around us.
As a member of the Allied Media Projects Sponsored Projects Network, we also hold the AMP Network Principles as central to our work.
Please read our operating principles before preparing your application.
A Social Media Organizer is more than a communications specialist. They spend their time figuring out how to leverage online tools to their fullest extent: to bring those already a part of the community further on their path to growth while inviting new members to ask questions and become part of the community. They understand that social media is one tool of many, but it’s also a connective tissue that links the different parts of 18MR.org’s work together.
A strong candidate for this position may have experience in community management, social media and strategic communications, digital campaigning, or copywriting. They will have a strong sense of style and an analysis of social issues that is nuanced and curious. They will have patience for editing and an ear for authenticity in a fast-paced, politically fraught online environment. They have a nuanced understanding of how different ethnic, language, and racial sub-segments of the Asian American community use different digital tools, and can use that knowledge to build strategy.
You’ll join a small, nimble team that is ambitious, detail-oriented, and highly engaged in everything from the nuts-and-bolts of campaigns and projects to shaping our analysis and vision of the world we want to build. We are a remote team and need teammates who are good communicators and motivated self-managers. This is a good position for an ambitious entry-level candidate ready to hone their skills and elevate their game.
The ideal Social Media Organizer is thoughtful, agile, and extroverted. They curate and create compelling content for a variety of social media channels and facilitate exciting, enlightening experiences online for 18MR.org members and volunteers. They play well with others, are open to being proven wrong, know when to ask for help, and have a passion for using the internet and social media to bring people closer together. They are interested in innovative ways of using common tools and coming up with meaningful metrics for success. They are detail-oriented and know how to communicate about expectations, deliverables, and deadlines with remote peers and volunteers. They work well with organizational partners and write clear, concise copy that helps illuminate issues and analysis for 18MR members. They are willing to have a flexible schedule to cover breaking news and events.
The Social Media Organizer will report to the Campaign Strategist.
- Maintain 18MR.org and affiliated social media feeds with up-to-date news, analysis, and campaign calls-to-action.
- Collaborate with the campaigns team to develop social media content for campaigns, from copy to shareable images.
- Coordinate partners and staff for special events, such as live broadcasts or Twitter town halls.
- Filter and route social media inquiries from 18MR.org members to appropriate teammates.
- Keep running tabs on hot issues and emergent moments that are capturing the attention and imagination of 18MR.org members online and could translate to winning campaigns.
- Develop, track, and analyze metrics of success for social media activities.
- Manage and support the 18MR Content Crew volunteers as they find, analyze, and discuss relevant stories.
Required Skills & Work Experience
- Strong copywriting and editing skills.
- Proficiency with image editing tools, such as Inkscape, GIMP, or Photoshop.
- A strong understanding of the history and major themes of Asian American social movements.
- Experience managing an organization’s social media accounts. “Organization” may be formal or informal, from corporate entities to student groups.
- Attention to detail and capacity to manage an editorial calendar.
- Critical thinking skills to analyze and respond to media moments independently.
- Ability to develop analysis of existing and emerging social media tools and platforms, in order to make recommendations that will shape long-term strategy.
Nice-to-Have Skills & Experience
- More than a year experience working on organizing projects, either as a professional or volunteer.
- Understanding of how to measure and track social media metrics, and an interest in developing new ones.
- Experience working on digital campaigns or online organizing projects.
- Experience working in social movements or organizing, either as a paid staff person or volunteer.
- Experience recruiting and developing volunteers, particularly remote/distributed volunteers.
- Conversational fluency in at least one Asian language (inclusive of East, Southeast, and South Asian languages).
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt salaried position. We expect the new team member to work approximately 40 hours a week, with an understanding that the schedule must flex to accommodate breaking news and events. The salary range for this position is between $45,000 and $55,000 annually, commensurate with experience and your local cost of living. 18MR.org offers cost-of-living and merit raises at the beginning of every calendar year.
As we are a distributed team, your primary residence may be located anywhere in the United States; current staff are based in New York City, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area. Occasional organization-sponsored travel for conferences and face-to-face staff gatherings will be required.
Through our fiscal sponsor, Allied Media Projects, we offer a competitive benefits package including generous vacation; full health, dental, vision and flex benefits; 403b program; ongoing training opportunities; and allowances for coworking space in your area and other incidental costs.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity as central to our work serving underrepresented communities, and we encourage candidates from a wide range of backgrounds to apply.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter, resume, two samples of past work, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: Social Media Organizer Application.
Direct any questions about this job posting to email@example.com, subject: Social Media Organizer Questions.
About 18MillionRising.org (18MR.org): 18MR.org is an unprecedented Asian American Pacific Islander online organizing and civic engagement organization that leverages the power of technology and social media to advocate for justice for our communities and allies. 18MR is comprised of a network of a AAPI activists, artists, organizations, and digital media influencers, ranging from community based organizations and print magazines to Asian American blogs and YouTube channels. By harnessing cutting edge online tools and tried-and-true organizing methods, 18MR.org creates opportunities for popular education and wins campaigns to shift policy, culture, and corporate behavior to help build a more just, equitable society for and with the diverse communities comprising over 18 million Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders nationwide.