Happy Asian Pacific American Heritage Month! We think there is no better time to celebrate the power and resilience of our communities than right now, in the midst of a pandemic that disproportionately impacts us. We have survived imperialist wars, colonialism, natural disasters, and so much more. In honor of this heritage, this APAHM we invite joy and uplift our communities who are leading the way to a world where we not only belong but are safe and thriving.
Our social calendar
There are some rad events happening during APAHM that we are co-organizing or sponsoring and we’ve bolded them for you below. Plus, there are some other cool community events that we want you to know about that we listed!
We’re highlighting the many ways our communities have supported and continue to care for one other online. Make sure you’re following us!
- MAY 1 @ 18MR - What is Healing for Asian Americans? We’re launching an interview series with Asian American healers to ground us in these unsettling times and to show us new paths to wellness.
- MAY 1 - Ramadan National Day of Action by Believers Bail Out. A day-long digital event featuring imams, scholars, activists, and performers.
- MAY 2 - MAY 30 @ 18MR - Bystander Intervention to Stop Anti-Asian American and Xenophobic Harassment, a free training series by Hollaback!
- May 3- PACIFIC CINEWAVES, a virtual showcase and panel discussion of Hawaii-based documentaries by the Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival.
- May 4 - We Will Be Heard: Cultivating Community During COVID-19, a series of virtual story circles for members of the community to come together and share stories, knowledge, resources, and support.
- MAY 6 @ 18MR - #StopCOVID19Hate Twitter Town Hall Join us to discuss how COVID-19 disinformation and anti-Asian hate is the newest iteration of Yellow Peril and how social media platforms must do more to protect us.
- MAY 7- #InternetIftars: Iftar for Serving the Most Vulnerable A series of virtual iftars aimed at cultivating meaningful conversations through themes of community resilience, serving the vulnerable, and moving forward, hosted by MPower Change.
- MAY 7 - “I Love Chinatown Pandemic Relief Show”a night of stories, food, and art to provide pandemic relief for Chinatown small businesses and tenants.
- MAY 9 - Town Hall on Education & Providing a Critical Hope Foundation for our Students & Communities From the folks who brought you the Town Hall on Anti-Asian Racism!
- MAY 11 + 12 - PBS’s new documentary series, Asian Americans, is coming to your TV!
- MAY 11 - OMAI FA’ATASI & VAITAFE,a virtual showcase of two documentary films following Samoan American youths in Southern California hosted by the Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival.
May 14 - Bridging Communities Iftar, 18MR is a community sponsor of this celebratory event for the growing solidarity community of Muslim American, Japanese American, Black, API, SWANA, Latinx, Jewish, Queer, and Trans accomplices.
- MAY 16 - #InternetIftars: Iftar for Moving Forward A series of virtual iftars aimed at cultivating meaningful conversations through themes of community resilience, serving the vulnerable, and moving forward, hosted by MPower Change.
- MAY 18 @ 18MR - Did You Eat Yet?, 18MR’s monthly newsletter featuring guest writer, Harvey Dong. Harvey is a movement elder who was on the front lines of the Third World Liberation Strike and is still organizing today. Are you subscribed?
MAY 19 - 22 @ 18MR - In honor of Yuri Kochiyama and Malcolm X’s Birthday, we’re launching a fundraiser to support Believers Bail Out, a community-led effort to bail out Muslims in pretrial incarceration. Follow us on social media to join the campaign!
MAY 27 @ 18MR - New 18MR swag alert! Stay tuned for a new t-shirt design developed in collaboration with Asian Prisoner Support Committee. 100% of shirt sales will benefit Southeast Asian refugees fighting ICE detention and deportations.
May 27 - Asian Pacific American Activism in Queer History, a webinar with historian Amy Sueyoshi, a founding co-curator of the GLBT History Museum, the first queer history museum in the US.
P.S. Angry Asian Man also put together this events calendar to celebrate APAHM. Check out more recs here!